Summer activities

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Summer activities

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

Since this forum has been a little quiet, I figured I would start a new thread. Are you guys driving your cars? What kind of work have you been doing? Let's sound off.

I'll start by telling everyone that I entered my car in a local car show in town near me. Not surprisingly, I was the only Ferrari at the show, but a Bentley showed up along with the usual American iron. Although I find local car shows sometimes a little boring, it was worth it when my daughter excitedly accepted 1st place! I guess free dinner at a local restaurant was worth the effort, along with showing people that Old Ferraris do exist, and they do come out for local shows!

What have you guys been up to?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Re: Summer activities

Post by sam231 »

Sitting on my hands! A search for the cause of the shuddering between 20-40MPH that cropped up on my way back from Maryland turned out to be a cracked drive shaft coupling. The Achilles heel of a C/4 is it's drive train, and I think at this point I have had my share. May go to Roelofs for a replacement if we cannot find one locally. In the meantime I also discovered that the lower bushings in the shocks need replacing so while we are at it........... No trips in the near future for this car. :(
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
330GT

Post by 330GT »

A couple of trips to BC are planned. Father's day Italian & French car show at Waterfront Park, North Vancouver. Great venue, right on the water looking across at downtown Vancouver. See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/308/ICS2011.htm for some pictures from last year. I'll spend the night at our place in Whistler, so about 500 miles round trip, probably in the 308.

Then a week later, to Kelowna for the FCA Western Canada Region annual meeting. It's been 25 years since I was up in that area and with members coming from Calgary, should be some new cars to see. About 650-700 miles in the 330, depending if I do a loop through eastern WA or not.
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 9685 times
Now I just have to decide how big of a second mortgage to take out to pay for the gas as it's well over $5/gallon in Canada.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Yale

Post by Yale »

It's quiet because the cars often don't work, (as you know mine has been off the road for two years), and if they do work people don't actually drive them anywhere, or they have spiraled up in value so much they are afraid to have them out or in these global warming times they are too damn hot, or as you my have heard, they don't work.

Two weekends ago I drove 1500 miles in the car below - pictured at the top of Mount Washington. It's still me driving the car so I did lose first and reverse gears and I have broken down in my favorite spot in front of the Holland Tunnel on the New jersey side. None the less...
Attachments
IMG_1066(small).jpg
IMG_1066(small).jpg (253.21 KiB) Viewed 9661 times
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

I just finished replacing the #&(`+>/@ fanbelt on my US version 365 GT 2+2 with two alternators. The parts book says it is a Goodyear Polyflex 11 mm x 825 mm belt. There is NO way an 11 mm wide belt could make it between the crank pulley and the A/C compressor mount bracket. You would have to take off the A/C mount bracket first, something I was NOT prepared to do. I then understood why the car had come to me with a 7 mm wide Polyflex belt because the thinner belt easily fits between the pulley and the A/C mount bracket.

But, after installing a 7 mm x 825 mm Polyflex belt, when tightened the outboard alternator that does the adjusting hit the steering box. After a large quantity of #&(`+>/@ comments, I took off the 825 belt and fitted a 7 mm x 800 mm Polyflex and it works fine. This is such a simple job to do with the engine out of the car for major work and such a "fun" job in the car because you have to dismount both alternators to thread the belt all the places it has to go.

At least I did get to go on the Spring Dust Off tour for the "Points and Condenser Preservation Society" to the former Packard Proving Grounds in the far northern suburbs of metro Detroit. If anyone is ever in southeastern Michigan on a first Saturday of the month, get in touch for the info to go to an open house at "The Warehouse" where many enthusiasts store their toys and many drive in on those Saturdays to show them off.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

I'm glad you completed the job. I have nightmares of replacing belts on 365s with two alternators!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

Hi Tom. What specific belt did you use on a 2 alternator 365?
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
Colin Angell

Post by Colin Angell »

I'm surprised that your attempt to kick start a new thread hasn't attracted more attention, because summer is definately the time for us to be out and about in our cars. My wife and I generally try to use our 365 GTC for holidays and in the past few years we have managed several thousands of miles of spirited driving in Europe. This year we decided to travel down to Umbria and have rented a small villa just a few miles North of Rome.

Normally we travel down through France and cross into Italy, via the alps, but this year we decided to take in Stasbourg on the way and then travel down through Switzerland and on to Italy. Unfortunately, although we are both in Umbria, our car is just outside Milan! For the first time in almost ten years the car let me down with a problem I could not fix at the side of the road, and we had to seek help from a garage and in the end leave the car behind and await repairs.

One of the things I really like about this car, which I maintain myself, is that there are almost no electronics. Apart that is from an after-market voltage regulator, which I fitted about 5 years ago. You can guess which part packed up on me. Anyhow I got the call today that the car is ready and I now have almost a 650 mile round trip to pick her up, followed by another 1500 or so on the journey home.

Happy days

Colin
T308

Post by T308 »

GTE: Engine out. Dis-assembly complete. Now ordering all the bits for a complete rebuild. That should take most of the summer.

308: Major service complete. Fuse panels replaced with more modern equivalents just this last weekend. Back on the road by Saturday.

Here's to a great summer!
1962 250 GT/E 3921, 1978 308 GTS 26845
tyang

Post by tyang »

jcwconsult wrote:Hi Tom. What specific belt did you use on a 2 alternator 365?
Sorry, didn't write it down. We matched it up with the old one.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Bad Dogg

Post by Bad Dogg »

July 4.jpeg
July 4.jpeg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
Leading the July 4 parade!!

Trip from Denver to Houston done last summer..

See everyone at Quail!

H