Tool bag

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Tool bag

Post by tim »

Greetings... The Big Yellow Taxi has not had a proper tool bag since it came to live with me 36 years ago. I am now thinking of correcting that situation. I have a few bits and pieces but no bag. I am currently looking at buying a bag but am not sure about the grain pattern- coarse or fine. Parkers write up on tools would indicate probably fine as the coarse was used up through 250's but mine is an early 330 (5769) and might have been fitted with a coarse grained bag. Dunno. I ask the collective wisdom of the list as to which would be appropriate. Thanks, Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Re: Tool bag

Post by tyang »

I guess a way to get a good guess would be to survey other 4 headlight owners which tool roll came with their cars, but that could be tough thing to know since most of these tool rolls were pillaged off the 2+2s by the Purveyors of Ferrari parts and now being sold back to us!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

This has just gotten too crazy. Ferrari purchased the bags from outside suppliers and from whomever was the lowest bidder. They bought the bags in batches and when a batch was gone, a new purchase order was let out. As much as we would like, there was no consistantcy in the minor details of the tool kits and bags. They would be similiar over a period of time, but not identical.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... Dyke, I agree completly with you-and I'm the one who raised the question. I have both available and if no one knows what is "correct", I'll buy the one I like. I think the Ferrari world gets to carried away with "correctness" and the tying of value ($$$$) with the location of the stickers on your heater hoses. These are, afterall, automobiles and automobiles are meant to be driven (hence the "mobile" part of term). I also agree with Tom's thought about buying back stuff that was with the car originaly. It would be nice to have a tool kit with my car but it is no show piece and never will be under my ownership (36 years so far). I can't see spending 10% of the value of the car buying a "correct" kit so I am putting together a kit that will look kind of right without spending large. Many of you are now screaming "heresey" but it's my car and thought of market value never enters my mind. Whilst I am rambling, one of the other items that concerns me is the price of Ferrari bits-even repros. I can buy a Ferrari wiring harness for $5500. I can buy one for my Morgan (61 and 66 +4's) for $1100. Yes, the Ferrari harness is a bit more involved than the Morgan but not much. Five times the price? You can't blame rarity or low production as in 1966 Morgan built 5-600 cars split between 4 distinct models. I am very happy my car is unrestored and complete (except tool kit). Ok, rant over - for now. It's almost past my bedtime and I'm getting cranky. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

To Dykes point, that may explain why there are variations in the pliers for a production series.

john
PF Coupe
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

What is your goal, anyway? If you want a complete car, get the bag that you like. If you want it to go to Pebble Beach, hire a consultant. I am with Dyke on this one. The factory did not care when they were new, so don't put a lot of energy or money into it. Save those for the important stuff.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... I've had my nap so I'm not so cranky now. Good question, Tom. While my car is no show car (it looks somewhat like a barn find) it has not been restored. It is not bathed in patina but is just an old used car. I kind of like that. My goal is to add the one thing missing that people do ask about. As I said, I won't spend large and am in no hurry as the 36 years without one would indicate but I would like to do something that looks about right. When presented with the option of this one or that one, like the bag, I would like to use what might be considered "correct" if costs are about the same. I found some heater valves from an Alfa source for $30 the pair so I will replace the domestic ones I've had for the last several years and I'll replace the hoses as well. $14/ft for something that matches original or $3 /ft for a nice fabric wraped Aeroquipt? Hmmm. I did spend $160 for a hub puller several years ago but it also fits the wire wheel hubs on my Morgans. I suppose it's sort of a rolling restoration but the emphasis is on rolling. Tim
william

Post by william »

would Parker Hall be an option for you?

I think he sells tool bag repops.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775