restoration of seat recliner mechanism

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mtfox

restoration of seat recliner mechanism

Post by mtfox »

Has anyone had their seat recliner mechanism restored. I am currently restoring an Alfa 2600 Touring Spider and the reliners at very shabby. They are, I believe, from the same manufacturer as the recliners in my old 330 GT (8981) had.

Any suggestions on a restorer in the US would be appreciated. Thanks
tyang

Re: restoration of seat recliner mechanism

Post by tyang »

mtfox wrote:Has anyone had their seat recliner mechanism restored. I am currently restoring an Alfa 2600 Touring Spider and the reliners at very shabby. They are, I believe, from the same manufacturer as the recliners in my old 330 GT (8981) had.

Any suggestions on a restorer in the US would be appreciated. Thanks
We have a chrome plater that does us the service of disassembling and reassembling these pieces when they have to be done. There are a few plastic pieces that are hard to replace if broken, but the hinges themselves look like they should readily come apart.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Re: restoration of seat recliner mechanism

Post by 8339 »

I had 2 2600 Touring Spiders at my shop last year for various repairs and restoration, and I tried to dis-assemble the seat recliners to have outer sections re-chromed. The recliners have high tension flat wound "clock" springs. If I could have found a sacrificial recliner I may have attempted to tear one apart further than I did. All the chrome shops I know would not touch them. I contacted a few restoration shops in Europe and they wouldn't touch them. Tom, If you have a shop that's willing to dis-assemble, chrome and re-assemble them, count me in!

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcars