Hood "gasket" or hood "trim" on 330 GT?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

Hood "gasket" or hood "trim" on 330 GT?

Post by peterp »

Hello,

Is the "gasket" around the exposed body edge under the hood supposed to be rubber or plastic trim? What I have currently looks more like plastic trim. I ordered a new one from Mr. Fiat and it looks more like a rubber gasket. I'm trying to figure out which is correct. When I look at vintage photos, it looks a bit more like plastic than rubber, but it's really hard to tell in black and white.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
DWR46

Re: Hood "gasket" or hood "trim" on 330 GT?

Post by DWR46 »

I am relying on 40 year old memories, but is is definitely more a solid plastic than rubber. I seem to recall a "square cornered" U-channel in black.
peterp

Post by peterp »

DWR46 wrote:I am relying on 40 year old memories, but is is definitely more a solid plastic than rubber. I seem to recall a "square cornered" U-channel in black.
You memory seems to be in perfect working order -- that's an exact description of what's there. The original trim still looks great, but it has one break in it around the driver's side corner at the rear of the hood and that part doesn't sit flush anymore. Maybe I should try using hot water to straighten the old trim rather than put on the new stuff that doesn't exactly match.

One thing unusual about the original trim is that it doesn't go all the way to the front edge of the hood -- it stops about 4 or 5 inches short of the front. Is it normal for the trim not to go all the way to the front of the hood?
Peter P
330GT

Post by 330GT »

peterp wrote:
DWR46 wrote:I am relying on 40 year old memories, but is is definitely more a solid plastic than rubber. I seem to recall a "square cornered" U-channel in black.
You memory seems to be in perfect working order -- that's an exact description of what's there. The original trim still looks great, but it has one break in it around the driver's side corner at the rear of the hood and that part doesn't sit flush anymore. Maybe I should try using hot water to straighten the old trim rather than put on the new stuff that doesn't exactly match.

One thing unusual about the original trim is that it doesn't go all the way to the front edge of the hood -- it stops about 4 or 5 inches short of the front. Is it normal for the trim not to go all the way to the front of the hood?
Yes, square cornered black PVC material. The 4-5 inches is due to shrinkage over the years. My trunk trim (same stuff) doesn't meet by a couple of inches.

A heat gun (applied carefully) will straighten the plastic. My trunk trim stuck to the foam seal on the lid and then got bent up as I didn't notice the sticking. Using a heat gun and then forcing it back in place until it cooled fixed the kinks. I doubt the hot water would do anything.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.... The stuff I bought from FAF (whatever became of them) maybe 35 years ago is rubber. Still pliable and didn't shrink. I think Kerry is right though about it being plastic. An old fuzzy memory is of it being shaped like the opening when I pulled the old one off.
Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Plastic, and square cornered u-channel as Dyke described. NLA. There's a rubber replacement I've seen that looks identical except for the material.

After heating it and getting in position, try some crazy glue to hold it in place.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

330GT wrote: Yes, square cornered black PVC material. The 4-5 inches is due to shrinkage over the years. My trunk trim (same stuff) doesn't meet by a couple of inches.

A heat gun (applied carefully) will straighten the plastic. My trunk trim stuck to the foam seal on the lid and then got bent up as I didn't notice the sticking. Using a heat gun and then forcing it back in place until it cooled fixed the kinks. I doubt the hot water would do anything.
Thanks Kerry. The heat gun works very well. It really doesn't take much heat to make it move and surprisingly it seems to remain a bit more pliable after it's cooled down. I'm still not sure I will be able to get it where I want it, but the heat gun is definitely the tool to use. I wish the new stuff was a better match.
tim wrote:Greetings.... The stuff I bought from FAF (whatever became of them) maybe 35 years ago is rubber. Still pliable and didn't shrink. I think Kerry is right though about it being plastic. An old fuzzy memory is of it being shaped like the opening when I pulled the old one off.
Tim
It does seem like it was preformed into a U as one long piece of trim. If this is the case when new, I wonder if replacements were ever available because it seems impossible (or at least impractical) to ship.

tyang wrote: Plastic, and square cornered u-channel as Dyke described. NLA. There's a rubber replacement I've seen that looks identical except for the material.

After heating it and getting in position, try some crazy glue to hold it in place.
Thanks Tom. Please let me know if you know the source for the identical rubber replacement -- the stuff from Mr. Fiat is very nice quality but it isn't that close a match.

Photos below:

Original trim:
ImageImage

Mr. Fiat Trim:
ImageImage

Incidentally, here are hood spring bumpers and trunk rubber kit from Mr. Fiat (they look pretty good though I haven't installed them in yet):ImageImage
Peter P
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks for the help. I was able to get it into shape with heat gun on low and then tacking that corner section down with superglue as Tom suggested.

If anyone has any remnants of this trim that is no longer usable as a whole, I would be happy to buy it or trade even for the Mr. Fiat trim. I need about 15" of trim -- whatever is left over I will send to Kerry and anyone else that needs a short section due to shrinkage.

This is the Mr. Fiat trim description: http://mrfiat.com/part.php?item=Cars/Fe ... tment.html

Thanks,
Peter
Peter P
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.. Is that picture accurate? Does the stuff they are supplying have the metal reinforcement? That looks like the molding used domesticaly to cover pinch weld. Way to big and usually is textured on the outside.
Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
peterp

Post by peterp »

tim wrote:Greetings.. Is that picture accurate? Does the stuff they are supplying have the metal reinforcement? That looks like the molding used domesticaly to cover pinch weld. Way to big and usually is textured on the outside.
Tim
It looks like it has metal reinforcement, but the metal is only exposed at the ends where it's cut, everywhere else it looks like rubber but presumably has the metal inside. I just called the vendor to ask about it and it doesn't sound like they have heard of this issue before. I sent them some pictures of the correct trim and they are going to forward them to their supplier in Italy for response.
Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

peterp wrote:
tim wrote:Greetings.. Is that picture accurate? Does the stuff they are supplying have the metal reinforcement? That looks like the molding used domesticaly to cover pinch weld. Way to big and usually is textured on the outside.
Tim
It looks like it has metal reinforcement, but the metal is only exposed at the ends where it's cut, everywhere else it looks like rubber but presumably has the metal inside. I just called the vendor to ask about it and it doesn't sound like they have heard of this issue before. I sent them some pictures of the correct trim and they are going to forward them to their supplier in Italy for response.
I don't believe the textured plastic moulding with the metal reinforcement is correct for SII330s. This stuff is found on Pininfarina built 365GTC/4s

I may have 15 inch section I salvaged, but I would have to check.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Tom. It's good to hear that what they sent is correct for 365 GTC/4 -- gives hope that they just listed the wrong one and might have one for the earlier cars. I'll post an update when I get more info from the Italian supplier (hopefully before Italy shuts down in August). I'm definitely interested in the remnants if they don't have the correct trim.
Peter P
330GT

Post by 330GT »

A friend recently bought a complete trim package for his PF coupe from Cicognani. The hood trim supplied had the correct profile (square topped), but in rubber rather than PVC. Not surprising since they are a rubber company and probably don't have the machinery to extrude a PVC product.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks Kerry. I think Mr Fiat is a reseller for Cicognani, so it sounds like they just have the wrong part listed for a 330. Do you recall if the rubber was discernible from the plastic? My trim looks pretty good after fixing that area, but you can still see a seam where the corner piece broke off, so I'm inclined to replace it (but not if the rubber looks wrong).
Peter P
peterp

Post by peterp »

I received additional info from the vendor. They carry two types of trim with rectangular, rather than rounded, edges. As expected, both are rubber rather than plastic. Of the two, the one below looks correct to my eye, but I'm not 100% certain. The "width" dimension of the upper area (rectangle side) is 1mm for "inside channel" and 3mm "outside width". I'm traveling currently and can't measure mine. Does this sound like the right one?

Below is the other one they have with rectangular edge -- it looks like the channel is too wide, but I don't have dimensions so I can't be absolutely certain:

Peter P