drive line noise

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Re: drive line noise

Post by tim »

Greetings... Got it and PM'd you back (hopefully)
Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
whturner

Post by whturner »

I also would be interested in a universal joint - but it would be uncouth to try to jump the queue. But if anyone has one contact me.
330 GT Series II sn 10069
SLM

Post by SLM »

DWR46 wrote:Propshaft or rear axle. There is a "centering ball" at the rear of the propshaft to align the rubber donut. These can wear and cause the vibration. You will need machine work to resize it or maybe you can space the propshaft forward to cause the ball to run on unworn metal. Just some thoughts.

Dyke,
Yes. I found that this is causing my very annoying vibration . Upon dissassembly I found the flange is very worn. Now for the hard question-Any idea what the radial clearence should be between the "centering ball" and the inside of the Flange?

thanks,
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
SLM

Post by SLM »

ebayjune 034.JPG
ebayjune 034.JPG (30.71 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
62 250GTE S/N 3733
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: Glad you found your problem. I do not know the exact clearance specs. However, you want a "slip" fit. The two parts should slide together easily, but have no discernible clearance.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

SLM wrote:
IMG_2720.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 10513 times
Steve ,(SLM)
this is an interesting problem I would like to know how this can happen (diagnose).
that bring us further here.
I don´t drive cars with a propshaft like you'res
but had some cars with this systems 250gt OD gearboxes
mine have the sliding mechanism at the end of the 4-speed GB .
but will tomorrow make some" hypotheses " what I think this could have this happen.
its late here ,will post later

C.
Attachments
IMG_2721.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg (149.18 KiB) Viewed 10513 times
IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2722.jpg (169.51 KiB) Viewed 10513 times
SLM

Post by SLM »

C,
I can tell that once in this cars life the shaft disconnected from the u joint(at the rear pinion) and the shaft was spinning sideways enough to make a hole in the sheet metal above the rear. So , I don't know if this was enough to damage the flange I pictured or it occurred from normal long term use.
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
BobA

Post by BobA »

In looking at the pictures of the two driveshafts, there seems to be some missing information . The slip joint makes the length adjustable which is necessary to allow the differential to move up and down on the springs. The other shaft is a fixed length. The differential does not move in an arc therefore the distance from the transmission changes and needs to have some means of adjusting for this change. I do not think the transmission end has a sliding, splined coupling. Right?
Also if the fixed length shaft is scored into the metal, it needs to be repaired. I have seen driveshafts that were nicked with a saw blade unwind in a flat spiral. Fortunately that shaft was in an enclosed guard.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

SLM wrote:C,
I can tell that once in this cars life the shaft disconnected from the u joint(at the rear pinion) and the shaft was spinning sideways enough to make a hole in the sheet metal above the rear. So , I don't know if this was enough to damage the flange I pictured or it occurred from normal long term use.
Steve
Steve ,if you look for a replacement flange be sure its the right one.
the cardanaxle war placed visa versa around 1960/1
till about 1961 the hardy disk was situated at the rearaxle
after 1961- I think -the donut came on the gearbox side .
the Flange before 1961 looks the same as the later one, but have an other groove pattern .
and will not suit on the GB shaft sew below.
second at the end the cardan shaft there should be a grease cup, this is mostly lost on most of the cars.
you can often se an grease beam on the belly pan centrifugal force press out the grease
that cardan grease part must easily be moveable by hand and not a plastic hammer.
hope this helps
C.
Attachments
IMG_1890.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg (132.14 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 10443 times
SLM

Re: drive line noise solved

Post by SLM »

Finally got the drive shaft parts from the machinist. The flange that bolts to the trans was MAP'd (machinable alloy plating) using hard sulfamate nickel. Meaning it was plated with a certain process as to add material and then the part was machined down to fit the drive shaft end socket. I figured out after trying to install the shaft with no luck trying to use a punch to guide 4 bolts through the trans flange was no very smart. A simple solution came to mind after thinking that the donuts when bought new come with the band clamp. So I figured anytime one takes the drive shaft donut out or installs one use an 8" dryer vent clamp to squeeze the donut. This way you don't mess up the threads on the 8 bolts. Installing it, I bolted the donut to the drive shaft and installed my cotter pins. Then I used the hose clamp and clamped the donut. This made putting the donut bolts in the trans flange easy since squeezing the donut made it concentric and the bolts went in straight. A few photos.. the coating you see is some lithium grease.I am happy to report the car is vibration free and a pleasure to drive.
Attachments
FerrrariFemalePart2.jpg
FerrrariFemalePart2.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 10297 times
FerrariFemalepart.jpg
FerrariFemalepart.jpg (289.62 KiB) Viewed 10297 times
62 250GTE S/N 3733
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve, the rubber donut is designed to take on some limited twisting force, but it's not meant to take lateral (side to side) forces. The ball stops the lateral movement of the rubber donut. It makes perfect sense that the drive shaft would whip at high rev if the ball was worn, which explains your vibration. I think the answer to your question as to how tight, I'd say as tight as possible while allowing the ball to swivel. Remember, this joint is supposed to wallow in grease anyway. If you have a flat spot on the ball it is important that you true it back to a sphere before trying to set the clearance right inside the socket. All the best.

john
PF Coupe
treue

Post by treue »

George,

I had a problem similar to yours but just the whining, no vibration (at least that I could tell from normal operation). Maybe you have TWO problems.

Anyway, the symptom of my problem was a whine related to vehicle speed, coming from the rear axle. I think it occurred whenever the car was moving but was only noticeable above 30mph. At 50 or 60 it was the loudest noise in the car. It was there with the transmission in gear or in neutral. It turned out the whine was caused by a severely worn ring-and-pinion-mostly-pinion set.
9129 Differential, Pinion Tooth, Bad 1A, 12-31-14.jpg
9129 Differential, Pinion Tooth, Bad 1A, 12-31-14.jpg (98.59 KiB) Viewed 10248 times
The solution was to replace the ring-and-pinion set with a used-but-in-good-condition set AND (this part is crucial) to adjust-it-properly-when-installing.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)