picture of under pan needed

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GEODAVKY

picture of under pan needed

Post by GEODAVKY »

I understand the when 330's were serviced that many times the pan was not put back on the bottom as it was such a pain to fool with. Mine is missing and it needs to be on because that's what keeps the exhaust fumes out of the passenger compartment. Trouble is I don't know what it looks like. Does anybody have a diagram or a good photo?
Thanks
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
rpalmer

Re: picture of under pan needed

Post by rpalmer »

There've been postings before on the belly pans and Kerry has some good info:

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB3/view ... pan#p32055

http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/BellyPan.htm

-RP
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

RP thanks! Am I correct in thinking that by not having the belly pan I'm getting exhaust fumes in the car? Or are they coming in for another reason?
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
330GT

Post by 330GT »

GEODAVKY wrote:RP thanks! Am I correct in thinking that by not having the belly pan I'm getting exhaust fumes in the car? Or are they coming in for another reason?
I doubt it. The seal around the transmission tunnel is not great, particularly at the rear. Not only was I getting a lot of heat from there on mine, but also it was open enough for mice to get in. Usually there are also various unused or loose grommets in the firewall on cars as old as ours.

So any exhaust leak can get into the car. I would work on fixing the exhaust leaks and openings into the interior.

The belly pan is mainly for increasing air flow around the transmission to aid in cooling.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Timo

Post by Timo »

In my experience, probably most common contributor for exhaust fumes entering to the interior of any passenger vehicles is poorly or non-sealing boot/rear/trunk lid weatherstrip. In older vehicles, this is often amplified when operator mistakenly tries to "exhaust" the fumes by opening one or both (front) door vent windows/wind wings which creates a "vacuum" effect inside the vehicle, allowing more fumes to get sucked in through poorly sealed trunk. And just because trunk lid weatherstrip has been recently replaced, it doesn't necessarily mean it seals properly. In some vehicles contributor could also be rear window-, tail light-, -??? seals or even corrosion (=rust) holes on the rear underside areas, etc...
Timo
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

So is the pan really needed if that's not the likely cause the fumes? Yes, my trunk seal is bad.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
Darren C

Post by Darren C »

Jeeeez guy's, that's another missing part I never knew I was missing!
As I cross off an item on the top of my "things I need to find, make or replace" I add 2 more onto the bottom. :-)
330GT 2+2 4HL 6727
Small things make perfection, but perfection is no small thing.
tyang

Post by tyang »

GEODAVKY wrote:So is the pan really needed if that's not the likely cause the fumes? Yes, my trunk seal is bad.
I would bet it's mostly from the trunk seal. Take a dollar bill and close the trunk on it, and find where it slips easily out of past the seal. Even if it's new, the fit might need to be shimmed out to seal better on the lid. I think with 330s, there are two seals, a thin u-shaped rubber seal for the trunk opening sheet metal, and a 1-inch wide closed cell foam seal that's about 1/2 inch thick that goes around the edge of the trunk lid. I know this is what's in GTCs, and I think is the same for the 2+2s.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.. Your are right about the seal on the 330's except the one FAF sold me was open cell as is the crumbling remains of the old one. The oneonthe body seam is the same as the one around the engine compartment.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

tim wrote:Greetings.. Your are right about the seal on the 330's except the one FAF sold me was open cell as is the crumbling remains of the old one. The oneonthe body seam is the same as the one around the engine compartment.

Tim
The absolute correct trim around the hood opening is a plastic u-shaped piece, but it's usually shrunk and cracked. Most people replace it with a rubber piece because the original plastic piece is NLA. I have not found any original seal for the trunk, so I don't know if it's exactly the same as the front of the car.

The profile for the closed cell foam seal is very close to what can be found in the weather stripping section at your local home center. It comes in 1-inch wide rolls and has an adhesive backing. Unless you are a eagle eyed judge at a Ferrari show they won't be able to tell the difference. You may have to add contact adhesive to make sure the stuff sticks well to the trunk lid.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
tim

Post by tim »

http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/en/various-seals
Greetings.. Has anyone ordered directly from this source or from Mr Fiat? I need some bits and pieces for an upcoming bit of paint work.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
GEODAVKY

Post by GEODAVKY »

I ordered direct all new rubber for my Dino. It took them awhile to answer, but it was a substantial savings. If just ordering a few items check out Mr. Fiat as it might be less trouble.
1967 330 GT 2+2 8767
George Davidson
Besters

Post by Besters »

Yes, it takes a while if you order from Cicognani s.r.l. , but the items are fitting very well and the quality is fine. In central europe they are the No.1 for any Ferrari rubber part. I've ordered there for many times and various cars and have been satisfied every time.
Regards
Markus

´61 250GTE #2281GT ; ´80 308GT4 #15112 ; ´83 208 turbo GTB #46599 ; ´85 Mondial 3.2 #59769
cory

Post by cory »

I have ordered from both with no issues. Although Mr. Fiat doesn't seem to have all they advertise in stock. Sometimes there is a wait. With Cicognani the product was great and arrived promptly and as previously stated a substantial savings.