365 GT 2+2

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mark

365 GT 2+2

Post by mark »

OK guys and gals: What is the best procedure for R/R a clutch assembly? Mine is running out of adjustment....

Thanks in advance.

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
mark

Re: 365 GT 2+2

Post by mark »

ok, I'll be more specific:

The way I see it, I can slide the differential back from the torque tube, then remove the torque tube, then slide the transmission back and of course support it on a rolling transmission jack. This method would also necessitate removing the center console inside the car.

The other approach would be to remove the engine, which of course means removing the hood (bonnet to some folks) disconnectiong all of the various connections and of course remove the radiator. Then lift the engine out after removing the engine mounts.

I'm sure that someone on this board has replaced a clutch on a Queen.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Timo

Post by Timo »

OK, I'll take a crack at this even though I've never replaced one on a "Queen" before, but with plenty experience on other makes/models.
First and with all due respect, may I ask how experienced are you with services like this in general ? What type of facilities and equipment are you attempting to do this with ? Do you have lift ? Is this to be done in a shop or home garage ?
What I'm trying to say, again with all due respect, is that if you're not very experienced and trying to do this at home, by yourself, without proper equipment, there's necessarely nothing wrong with that, but sometimes the "best" choice/procedure with something like this just might be taking the car to well equipped/experienced mechanic/shop.
Who knows, might even save some $$'s in the long run.
Either way, good luck and hopefully some one with intimate knowledge specifically on "Queen" clutch service is able to offer more useful advise.
Timo
mark

Post by mark »

Hi Timo:

Thanks for responding. I take no offense to your questions regarding skils and knowledge. The internet is full of opportunity for "puffing up a resume`"
That being said, I do consider myself a pretty competent amtateur mechanic. I'v'e been maintaining my small fleet myself for some time.

A few years back I built a shop space as a birthday present: From me, to me. I installed a two post lift and compressor and finished it off with a pirelli calendar.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mark,

The 365GT 2+2 that has been a through a lot of hands before it ended up at our shop developed a rubbing noise in the throwout bearing when we were moving it around. We were afraid if the sound didn't go away, the transmission would have to come out. Francois started to describe what I had to do to get to the clutch, and it involved removing the parts from underneath the car. We managed to soak the T/O bearing with some penetrating oil to try to quiet down the noise, without getting any on the clutch surface as a last ditch effort to save the owner from this expensive job. The noise had since gone away, and we're hoping it stays gone, but there is no guarantee. I wasn't really looking forward to the job, but good luck! That transmission is a monster, so make sure you have help getting it out!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Mark, I have had a few transmissions out of Queen moms in the past.
-You are correct you need to move the differential backwards which means removing the half shafts. You can try and leave them in place but it will only frustrate you. Support the differential if you can or remove it completely, of course that would mean dis-connecting the brakes etc.
-Support the torque tube before you move the diff back, too much stress on the trans and motor mounts. Dis-connect the torque from the diff and them the trans, the torque tube is not a light piece. Be careful not stress out the splines on the torque tube or this will cause you much frustration on re-assembly.
-Removal of the transmission is straight forward.

Richard
mark

Post by mark »

Thanks Timo, Tom and Richard:

Your guidance helps to confirm the sequence and level of difficulty. I like to plan things out in my mind and on paper if necessary before
doing a lot of wrenching. Richard mentioned the word "frustration" a few times. I don't enjoy being in the moment with that word.

Cheers

Mark
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
Timo

Post by Timo »

You're welcome.
mark wrote:... "frustration" ... I don't enjoy being in the moment with that word.
Very likely none of us do, but it seem to occur occasionally to most of us when working on vintage cars. :lol:
Timo

Post by 8339 »

Doing this for a living, I can tell you nothing is easy and nothing is straight forward. Even a simple oil change can turn into a nightmare. Hang in there take your time.

Richard
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

I will add from when BrianP and i did his - the transmission is VERY heavy lowering it is a two gorilla or three man job Be sure to consider what else you want to tackle (sub tasks now possible by the new access) while you have all that apart It was time consuming but all very straight forward
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
mark

Post by mark »

There's a guy that lives across the street from the shop that enjoys lifting weights (Arturo Giocometti). He has his garage set up with equipment and mirrors on the wall so he can admire his strength. I'll ask Art and his "lifting buddy" Pasquale (Pete) if they can help. Pete doesn't like it when his hair gets messed up, but I'll tell him to put an extra dab of glue on his toupee.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello