250GTE Rear Springs and Shocks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cory

Re: 250GTE Rear Springs and Shocks

Post by cory »

Andrew
In my neck of the woods there is a company called Donovan Spring Co. of Manchester NH. They specialize in springs/suspensions for all vehicles, a lot with larger trucks. You can go to there website to get more info
Cory
Zanny1

Post by Zanny1 »

3177 is currently at DGR performance (Oceanside, Ca.) having the rear suspension, overdrive and transmission rebuilt. New (aftermarket) springs can be easily sourced, although mine were in good enough shape to be saved. A qualified spring shop in the area is putting 1-1/2" more ride height back into the springs, which will hopefully restore the car's stance when finished. Rear bushings were shot, which is why the car hopped around so much when driven.
I'll post details and pictures when I get the car back.
Mike
1971 365 GTC4.... on my second one
abrent

Post by abrent »

Hi Mike, Tom, Tim, Cory and the Super one,

Dave, I have looked briefly and making new springs with the material available here, which is 6mmx50mm, and the advice so far is that it may not fit as the keeper leaf has such a savage roll on it around the eye of the main leaf. But, that might be the only choice so measurements will need to be made. One idea was to surface grind some material down to the 4mm required and I am looking into that, a machine shop which does this is ironically in Newcastle, the location of Dumbrell Springs. I can't seem to get them on the phone at the moment but that may just mean they are on vacation, but Tim, thanks for the tip. I'ts reasonably common for small companies here to just not answer the phone when not around. Cory, I'll try Donovan once my leads here dry up, but thanks for the tip as they look like they might have something. Mike, if you have details of these readily available aftermarket springs it would be great to compare what I might be up for to just remake two main leaf's.
Lastly, just wondering, has anyone powder coated the leaf's yet, and how did that go. There seems to be a concern here that if the painting (whether it be powder coating or regular enamel) is uneven it would result in broken leaf's shortly after re-assembly. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Andrew.
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

When I was visiting Norbert at Grand Touring Classics I asked him those same questions, he told me he has powder coated rear springs with good results. I also ask the guy that does my power coating and he agrees that there shouldn't be any problems . I have had several coil springs done with no affect in the ride height or breakage.