Transmission and Differential Oil

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Re: Transmission and Differential Oil

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, just finished the fill of my Daytona's transaxle. Used the Castrol 75-90 Syntrax + 4 oz (??cc) of the Redline additive. Piece of cake with the fluid transfer unit I got for $9.03, included free shipping, from Amazon.
Here's the link. Well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00825 ... UTF8&psc=1
ADD: in the interest of full disclosure, I own 2.5 million shares of AMZN.
steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
peterp

Post by peterp »

Steve Meltzer wrote:ADD: in the interest of full disclosure, I own 2.5 million shares of AMZN.
Oldest trick in the book Steve. I've seen it a million times -- buy 2.5 million shares of Amazon stock, pimp their products on TomYang.net, then dump the stock when the transmission oil buying frenzy is over.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
whturner

Post by whturner »

I understand that modern synthetic gear oil does not need the GM limited slip additive.
Correct me if I am wrong since I use synthetic without the additive - which I have sitting on the shelf from a long time ago. I do know my limited slip works since I have driven on slippery surfaces, and both wheels spin.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Warren: Actually, the LSD Additive helps the unit "slip". Without the additive, the LSD works too well and you will get chattering as the clutch plates try to grab each other when the car is turning a corner. The additive (which used to be made with whale oil) helps lubricate the plates to promote slippage under normal conditions. When the speed of one wheel exceeds the other wheel by a predetermined amount, the clutches "bite" and limit the wheelspin. I have always added the additive to synthetic gear oils. I view it as cheap insurance. Many gear oils will work in LSD units as a "top up". However, on a full oil change, I always recommend using the additive.
peterp

Post by peterp »

DWR46 wrote:Warren: Actually, the LSD Additive helps the unit "slip". Without the additive, the LSD works too well and you will get chattering as the clutch plates try to grab each other when the car is turning a corner. The additive (which used to be made with whale oil) helps lubricate the plates to promote slippage under normal conditions. When the speed of one wheel exceeds the other wheel by a predetermined amount, the clutches "bite" and limit the wheelspin. I have always added the additive to synthetic gear oils. I view it as cheap insurance. Many gear oils will work in LSD units as a "top up". However, on a full oil change, I always recommend using the additive.
Dyke -- is there a particular brand of LSD additive that you recommend and how much should be added?

Regards,
Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
whturner

Post by whturner »

Is there any danger from not using the additive? Or side effects from using it if not needed? We all know the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
I have not experienced any chatter in my 330 GT although I had on a couple of previous vehicles. but I wasn't using synthetic either.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Peter: For years, the best additive was the GM stuff at the dealers. However, now that whale oil is a banned substance, there are numerous brands available that will work well. Just buy it from a reputable auto parts store.

Whturner: Your 330GT has a ZF unit in it.They do not use "clutches", but rather a set of "chicklets" that wedge into a drum to lock the axles. Technically, it does not need the additive. It does no harm to use it, and may promote better lubrication.
michaelbalk330

Post by michaelbalk330 »

Today I fixed my leaky pinion seal. After removing the driveshaft and having it balanced, I pulled the u joint. Used an impact hammer to remove the nut and washer and a gear puller removed the flange easily. The books stated it was a 42x72x10 seal, but mine was a 44x60x10. Tom had wisely recommended pulling it first before purchasing!
Installation was easy and I used a little RTV sealer on back of the washer. Installation is simply the reverse.
I used Penrite 250 oil and LSD additive. Whats great about the bottles is they have a built in nozzle- see pic- so no drips while putting it into the housing.
The car is like a different car. First, there are no leaks- check out the pics after a drive- not a drop of oil. In one of the pics you see the right muffler void of its paint from centrifugal force and chronic oil spattering on it. Second, the driveshaft vibration is gone- over the years, people had soldered lead onto different parts of the shaft. When I had it computer balanced, the machine said remove all that stuff, and simply add one small weight opposite some remaining lead on the flange. Third, the thicker oil makes for a much quite rear differential.
Bottom line- I highly recommend the 250 wt oil- i do think there will be less leaks, and I am very happy with the result. Just a few hours total work.
A few hints- use punch and alignment tools to help guide the Flex disc bolts in, clean them all really well first. Dont put in too much grease when you pump it in the yoke- just a few squirts. and grease the mushroom fitting at the front.
Attachments
pulling the flange
pulling the flange
P1080827.jpg (120.44 KiB) Viewed 10957 times
penrite 250 lid
penrite 250 lid
IMG_2133.jpg (116.18 KiB) Viewed 10957 times
dry seal
dry seal
IMG_2130.jpg (165.97 KiB) Viewed 10957 times
Michael
1967 330GT #9693