Aluminum Hood Repair Expert needed

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

horner

Aluminum Hood Repair Expert needed

Post by horner »

Don't ask, I didn't do it, nor am I currently at liberty to say who did. But, nonetheless, the hood is now slightly bent at the trailing edge as well as the paint chipped in same area, and hood superstructure (frame) dented/bent. That also means that it does not shut. Any reputable body/panel/paint experts known in the CT, NY, NJ, MA area that know these cars?

Tom, does Francois have someone that does this work?

Disappointed in CT, LJH
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
enio45

Post by enio45 »

OUCH!!

Sorry to hear this :(
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
daffy

hood

Post by daffy »

Fred Petroski in the company www.mostlybritsh.com can probebly sell you a new hood for less than repair. he is situated in Chaumount NY.
330 GT 2+2 Serie II VIN 8495, 1966
Fiat DINO Coupe 246, 1971
Fiat Ritmo Abarth 1988
ISO Milano Diva 1959
Audi Urquattro 1984
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2006
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jack,

Sounds like someone tried to close the hood without checking to see if the hood brace was in place!

Call Wayne Carini at Continental Autobody in Portland CT.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
horner

Post by horner »

Thank you for the advice/vendors. We are going to try the repair route first. I cannot tell exactly what caused the damage, so I wont speculate. Done is done.

I still owe the Forum the answer on the fix for my charging system. That is still unresolved. Sure would be nice to have a neat car to drive around this weekend. !@#%@! LJH
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Jack,

Don't complain too much. When I got my car back from Francois in January the brakes were pulling a little and not feeling very impressive (even by 1960's standards). Francois suggested that I drive it a bit to see if the issues would clear up with use. 1500 miles later - no luck. Francois took the brakes apart and discovered that all of the calipers needed to be sleeved. The car has now been at Francois' shop all of this beautiful spring and it is at least another week until he even has the parts back. My car should be back to me just in time for the hot weather and it doesn't have air conditioning.

Best Wishes,

Art S.

PS. dents add character
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
horner

Post by horner »

Art, sorry to hear about the binders. Maybe both of us will have our cars back in time for the Hartford Concorso. Meanwhile, my problems originate from my lending the car, free of charge, to a world famous restoration shop who used the car to benchmark a resto on s/n 8783. The car went straight from FNA's use at the private 612 Scaglietti intro Dec 2 in NYC to them, via a post-show review at Performance Outfitters in Stamford, CT. The car was returned literally in undrivable condition, e.g., hood not shutting (bent), light stalk broken off, & more! Fortunately for me, P.O. completely prepped and detailed the car for FNA's use, FNA shipped & returned the car to P.O., and the car was returned directly to them last Friday for a post-resto shop evaluation. Also, there is photographic evidence. Sorry for the venting, but I am disappointed to say the least. No names or guessing, please. I am confident that they will make things "right." But, lesson learned. LJH

PS No A/C in our car either; open the windows, drive faster!
barchetta

Post by barchetta »

Jack- Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Clearly, if the outfit that caused the damage is indeed "world class", I would just consider this an unfortunate incident and let them remedy the situation. However, if you have lost all confidence in this outfit, a couple of shops that come to mind:

(As Tom suggested), Wayne Carini at Carini Carrozzeria in Portland, CT;

Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ

Paul Russell and Company in MA

If you still would like to hear about some other alternatives, just let me know. Best Regards.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Re your list Barchetta,

BINGO!

All good people except one of those folks can take a couple of YEARS to get your car back, one of the three has a history of keeping peoples cars with a mechainics lean when the repair costs seem to escalate, and one did the damage in the first place.

Yale
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Jack,

All I can say is Wow! My previous mechanic kept my car for 20 months once but at least I got it back in better condition than I dropped it off in. I hope the in addition to fixing the car, they either compensate you for lost time with the car or provide you with a loaner - maybe a nice Lusso or a short wheelbase SuperAmerica cab.

On another note, make sure you get all of the broken parts back, especially the light stalk. I've been trying to get the stalk bases cad-cam'ed in Delran and I think someone else is trying to cast them so the part may be savable. An original working set is very expensive and difficult to find.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
horner

Post by horner »

Forumites, thanks for the names. Yale, you either remembered where our car was this winter or you are Karnak reincarnate. We are currently allowing the party involved to respond w/ a solution, though given their workload my guess is that the repair work will be done elsewhere. Meanwhile, it sits at Performance Outfitters in a self imposed parc ferme`.

Art, we do have the broken-off stalks. However, when they tried to epoxy it back on they managed to fail at that endeavor, but did manage to epoxy the switch itself in the column so that it is locked in the middle, dipped beam, position. Ugh!

Also, we are checking to see if Ferrari U.K. still has remanufactured stalk units in stock. A post to this forum in 2002, I think from Paul Baber, (250 SWB Ltd.) mentioned their availability at that time. No, not inexpensive.

Thank you in advance to Kerry Chesbro who has a great step by step repair procedure with photos, assuming that you have the parts, on his website.
Thx, LJH