Jealous of the Vintage Ferrari owners...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob328gts

Jealous of the Vintage Ferrari owners...

Post by Rob328gts »

I just wanted to state how jealous I am of all the vintage Ferrari owners. I come out here every day to look at the pics, hear the stories, and learn. All of you should feel very lucky to be "keepers" of God's cars. I was born in '74, but still find myself most inspired by those horses from before my time. My first had to be the model I desired in my early teens, but now I'm older and smarter. My workshop should be done by early next year, my wife will be out of grad school early 2004 and then maybe, just maybe...
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Rob, I enjoy your chatroom very much and visit it every day. I have posted on both your site and also this site. There is definitely a different group of posters over there and I feel like I am really in the minority with my interest in the vintage cars however I have gotten a lot of good information from your site. Tom's site has been a great reference for me with my restoration. Tom's experiences with his restoration have kept me going throughout my rebuild. I encourage you to get a vintage V-12. You will be amazed at how enjoyable a great running and sounding older Ferrari can be.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rob,

I just put 140 miles on the 330 America today, (Story to follow) and I have to say IT WAS GREAT! These old Ferraris are real neat cars. It has nothing in ergonomics, you can barely see out of the windshield, it pops and spits when on partial throttle (probably needs more tuning), but man do I love the feel of the car!

Coincidentally, I helped Francois move a 328GTB, and it reminded me that these cars are a totally different deal. Every time I get in one of these cars, I feel like a "Boy Racer!" I'm not that much older than you Rob, but I guess I just don't like attracting that kind of attention!

It's like you either love the Beatles, or you love Elvis, but very few people love both equally!

Tom
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

I thought that I might be the only one jealous of all the fabulous Ferraris. I guess that there are more lurkers out there.
I am currently working on a MG midget restoration. I was really jealous until I starting comparing prices for parts I need, with the corresponding Ferrari part. I need a new top, that should run me around $200. The Ferrari tops I saw ran up to around $5000. I love to look at your cars, but I am afraid my wallet and heart are not strong enough for the Ferrari market. I sure do enjoy living vicariously through all of you though.

Congrats tom on getting your project roadworthy in time to get it on the road before winter. Of that, I am really jealous.

Mike
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Mikemeade: When all of the 13-20 year old kids you pass crane their necks to see your car...when the 30+ guys nod in silent appreciaton....none of which ever happened to me in a '64, 3 main bearing MGB, yet none of that matters when you are all alone with one of these grand dames on an open road and you push the throttle open, you realize its the best cost benefit deal on the planet, that is until the Navy sells their surplus Tomcats
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike M,

MGs are tons of fun to drive as well, and definitely cheaper to restore. When you get it done it will be as rewarding as what I have done. You'll just be driving to a different soundtrack!

Good luck with it!

Tom
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

I restored and drove the hell out of a chrome-bumpered 74 MGBGT for nearly ten years - a total joy. I miss having it to the extent that I could throw it around and power slide out of my favorite exit ramps. I haven't had the courage to do that in the Ferrari yet (or perhaps ever) - the repair bills would be a tad more expensive for a miscalculated corner. I still drive the Ferrari hard, I just can't bring myself to take it to the limit the way I did the MG - so enjoy it!
Bryan
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

Oh don't get me wrong, I love my midget. I finally have it somewhat raodworthy after a year, and I can't get enough of it. I'll be getting it road legal over the winter, but I can't wait to drive it regularly. :D

The point I was trying to make is that you guys are really lucky. I am really glad to see you share your restoration stories. It only makes me want to drive my midget more...