Daytona Header Clean UP

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Daytona Header Clean UP

Post by DrewA »

I have the headers out of my Daytona to rebuild the starter. My Daytona is a euro car and somewhere along the line it was federalized to some extent by drilling into each exhaust header (6 per side) and welding on air injection ports. They are not used and look ugly.

Was wondering how difficult it would be to take them to a shop to have the nipples cut off, welded up/ beaded and then ground down and painted.

Appreciate any comments.

Drew Altemara
Jumprun

Re: Daytona Header Clean UP

Post by Jumprun »

Its not a difficult job, but it could be time consuming, of course it depends on the craftsman you choose and the condition of the welded boss. Was the boss welded on over a smaller hole or was it entirely welded through the pipe, this will make a difference with the approach and amount of work, the former being less work. It won't be easy to tell until you cut one off.

You can't use conventional paint on the pipes, it's a special heat resistant coating.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks guys.

After doing some additional research (looking at the parts manual) which I should have done before, it shows the headers that I have with the sample tubes. I am told that all Euro Daytona's had this system after 72 and 73 thanks to EPA.

When the Euro Daytona's came to the states to be federalized the sample tubes were modified to pump fresh air from the air pump into the exhaust to make it heat up quicker (per emission standards for the time). Again this is what I am being told.

So it appears what I have is correct though the emission equipment is long gone. I'm probably just going to leave it alone as it is original. I am missing the heat shields on each side that that go above the headers. Probably best co concentrate on replacing/making those which would hide the headers.

Drew
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

here's a pic of my engine almost done. Notice the exhaust pipe coating, It's baked on. I've seen it done in silver or grey, but I obviously like the black even though you can't see much from the top side due to the shields.
330gtc11157.jpg
330gtc11157.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 11690 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jumprun wrote:here's a pic of my engine almost done. Notice the exhaust pipe coating, It's baked on. I've seen it done in silver or grey, but I obviously like the black even though you can't see much from the top side due to the shields.
330gtc11157.jpg
Looking good!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, I just can't sit idly by (terrible pun) and let you show off your gorgeous engine! So, here's mine, with dark gray exhaust manifold paint, made by Bill HIrsch (not sure they make this anymore). I've used this paint for 20 years, all on Corvettes, and it's terrific. Easy to apply, easy to touch up.

When you put the engine back in, will you have the alternator on, exhaust headers, carbs?

thanx steve (BTW: as you know, the exhaust headers on our cars are supposed to be black, like yours. steve
Attachments
gtc engine for TY.jpg
gtc engine for TY.jpg (257.23 KiB) Viewed 11626 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Steve, I think I have used that Hirsch product on a Corvette too. Have you used it on Ferrari headers? they can get nearly red hot.

I removed everything you mentioned when I took the engine out. I won't be doing the install, but if I did I'd leave those items off.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, Tom, that makes sense to me. This will be my first experience with the Hirsch product on a Ferrari. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I tried the Hirsch paint on my 250 headers and it lasted minutes, before it all nicely flaked off.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Great John! that makes my day. argghhh. s
steve meltzer,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I tried the BBQ paint first, it burnt right off. Then I tried Hirsch, that burnt off even quicker. I then tried ceramic coating... great stuff. My header pipes might be too thin, because others have had good luck with Hirsch.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

I’ve had the black satin ceramic coating on my headers for over 10 years and at least 10K Miles without a problem. You’ve gotten this far, just send them out for coating!! True, you can always pull the headers off later, but it’s going to be a lot easier now.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, who does your ceramic coating? Jet Hot did my Kirkham Cobra's. s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yup. I sent mine to Jet Hot. Back then, they were the only game in town.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053