Door handle spring

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

afwrench

Door handle spring

Post by afwrench »

Hey Tom, would it be possible to wind or fab a new one out of something like piano wire. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
tyang

Re: Door handle spring

Post by tyang »

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm considering it. Once I figure out the thickness, I'll have to see if I have to buy a whole spool of the stuff!

Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
earthandsea

Post by earthandsea »

Aren't these handles the same as those on Alfa spiders of the '70s, '80s and '90s? If so, the handles are plentiful and reasonable (used).
tyang

Post by tyang »

earthandsea wrote:Aren't these handles the same as those on Alfa spiders of the '70s, '80s and '90s? If so, the handles are plentiful and reasonable (used).
I agree, but it would be nice to keep the original parts with the car. I would have to transfer the lockset over so I might as well fix the spring!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

The handles are quite similar (identical looking outside) but not the same internally, but there is a good chance the spring will match. Used on Alfa Spiders from about 1969 onwards. Also used on 400 Series cars and Mondials as well, which have the same mechanism style as the 365GT one.

Investigated this when I worked at Classic Alfa!
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
klv

Post by klv »

Extra note - it's not too complicated to switch the lockset over, but the Alfa Spider door handle isn't a straight swap anyway. We've got a few doorhandles in stock here at MCP, they came in various different finishes (chrome outer handle, painted inner, all painted finish with polished outer rim etc etc over the years too, just to complicate things too...
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
tyang

Post by tyang »

So the latest solution is to buy a used Alfa Door handle and use the spring. From the pictures on eBay, they're similar but different, but as Andrew said, not exactly the same. The spring looks the same, so the cost and time spent making a spring from scratch versus cannibalizing a spring from an old door handle, I think the most efficient way is the latter.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053