Post by klv »

Might be worth contacting these guys as well to check what size they have:
https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Metric_Nuts.html

Regards
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
klv

Re: Tall Acorn Nuts for inside plug motor

Post by klv »

Been hunting around the warehouse and the closest domed nuts I can find are the 100044 parts that I mentioned previously - not quite what you are after though I suspect... Let me know if you want any more details.
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Kelly, can you post a pic of what you have available?

The key to the taller nuts is the nut height itself....the dome or cap seems to be the same, but the height of the
nut is noticeably taller. Whey they reduced the size over the years is a mystery to me, but from what i can see
from the ones i have in my possession, there are 3 styles that were used - meaning 3 distinct heights of the nut.

Im suspecting that finding them will require going thru some old stash of ferrari parts to find what i need.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, the problem is that no one makes these nuts for vintage Ferraris. What vintage Ferrari suppliers' carry is your common "press-fitted" dome nuts, and the current standard for this style of nut calls for the 6mm nut to be 12mm tall. Most likely, when our cars were being manufactured the standard for the 6mm called for 14 mm height, then as years passed the standards changed. There is a chart at the bottom of this ad. No matter who you call on the face of the Earth, these are the dimensions for the press-fitted dome nut you're going to get.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M12-A2-St ... 1323804642

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, should we think out of the box and go beyond the face of the earth :roll:

I'm going to see what it would take to make some.

Where is ET when you need him!
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
BobA

Post by BobA »

I have been following this thread for a while now, and it would seem that if the lower part of the nut is 2 mm taller, it would not be very difficult to remove the dome from a 12 mm high nut and turn a taller nut to press the dome into. Or are both pieces taller?
enio45

Post by enio45 »

The dome looks to me to be held on by the crimping of the nut around the base of the dome . At least one nut that i took apart
to figure out what is what with the construction.

seems the dome is very close to the same on all of the nuts i have....so why could we not get a manufacture to just make a longer nut and do the same process of securing the dome to the nut. i have notice some nuts have a nylon insert near the top of the inside threads.
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, making them as original will require tooling, but making them as exact lookalike can be done by one's self. It would be time consuming. Brass hex will machine very clean and will make for a smooth base for cad plating.

john
PF Coupe