330 front oil hoses

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

klv

330 front oil hoses

Post by klv »

330GTOIL.jpg
330GTOIL.jpg (72.1 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I'm looking for some photos and/or sizes and lengths of the two oil hoses from the filter housing down on a 330GT engine. We have some conflicting information here and trying to work out what is correct. Part numbers are 240059 and 240029 in the book, but not sure of the correct lengths and end fittings where they connect into the sump and the front cover (I believe). Anyone out there got some details?

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
John Vardanian

Re: 330 front oil hoses

Post by John Vardanian »

Andrew, you may just mock it up with similar diameter nylon hoses. Make sure to do it with everything else in place and pick a route that clears around things. Then you'll know how many cm's of the line it would take. With these often too long a section could be as much of an issue as if you made it too short.

john
PF Coupe
klv

Post by klv »

Hello John

Problem we have here at the moment is that we have two parts here, 240029 which we've had made up to the correct length with one end screwing into the base of the filter housing and the other end has a short metal section and then a similar screw fitting. What we have listed as 240059 is an older pipe we've sourced from somewhere in the past and it has the screw fitting under the filter and then an eye for a union at the other end, which I suspect is not correct. It's also shorter than I think it should be, so just trying to work out the correct style end fittings and length required so that we can get the correct ones made up. Just one of the little issues we have to try and sort out here to get correct for the future!

Cheers
Andrew S
tyang

Post by tyang »

klv wrote:
330GTOIL.jpg
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I'm looking for some photos and/or sizes and lengths of the two oil hoses from the filter housing down on a 330GT engine. We have some conflicting information here and trying to work out what is correct. Part numbers are 240059 and 240029 in the book, but not sure of the correct lengths and end fittings where they connect into the sump and the front cover (I believe). Anyone out there got some details?

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Hi Andrew,

I have 8553 in the shop right now, and it's a two mount 330 engine with a B253 and B50 bypass oil filter. The pressurized line coming from the engine block looks like a banjo fitting while the return line to the sump is a 90 degree socket fitting like the ones on the filter side.

I also have 6099 which is a four mount 330 engine with the bypass oil filter as well. The pressurized oil line is a socket fitting with a 90 degree fitting similar to the ones found on 250 engines. The same fitting is on the return line leading back to the sump.

I also have a later 330 two mount engine at the shop which has the integral oil passages with the same B253 ful flow oil filters.

It's amazing how many variations Ferrari made to these engines, without hardly any documentation!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

That highlights some of our problems with the parts books and trying to create a GTE one Tom! Very grateful that you happen to have the variations on hand to check.

We have plenty of parts and technical information here, but we don't have the cars here to cross reference too as well, so sometimes we can only make a 'best guess' on things. We just keep trying to build up the database of information as we go along. It certainly appears that the technical/parts books sometimes only have a nodding acquaintance with what actually was fitted to cars in practice. Makes it fun to work out 50+ years later!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

It was easier for them to make changes at the foundry than at the print shop!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

I guess long term owners will know this, but there are quite a few errors in the 330GT Mk 1 parts book too, so we try and note them as we go along as well. Long term project, but hopefully the new website will be up and running in the first quarter of 2018 with some information at least.

Merry Christmas to everyone!