Restoring the Dash Wood on a 330

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

Restoring the Dash Wood on a 330

Post by enio45 »

A client dropped off a 330 GTC for a complete restoration, so we have been in the process
of taking it apart. I pulled the dash and broke it all down to individual pieces.

Any thoughts how to go about restoring the wood? The back side as you can expect has a very
nice orig finish which is darker than the front that was subjected to light etc.

I'd like to restain it, and reclear it, not sure how to go about doing that.

Appreciate the input.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
peterp

Re: Restoring the Dash Wood on a 330

Post by peterp »

The 330 dashes are just plain teak, I believe they were treated with only oil at the factory, with no stain or clear applied (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Teak does get dried out rather easily, but it's easy to restore back to new even if it looks awful. This is why teak is used in marine applications so often -- it gets beat up with salt exposure, but it comes to new back with proper treatment. I think the only thing you need to do is prep the wood to make it as cleans as possible, and make sure the wood is as "open" as possible, and then apply teak oil and let it soak in.

I think there are some products you can apply to help open up the wood a bit so it is more accepting of oil, but this may not be even needed if it is really dried out. I tried several different teak oils, and the best I found was Watco, which Home Depot stocks. I think you apply it once, let it soak for 30 minutes or so, apply another coat and let it soak for 10 or 15 minutes, the wipe off the excess. If the dash is dried out, you may want to do a few more soak cycles before the last 15 minute soak.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thank you peter, then i assume that when it soaks in the darker color will begin to appear and potentially match to the unexposed areas?

Would any sanding of it be helpful?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
peterp

Post by peterp »

enio45 wrote:Thank you peter, then i assume that when it soaks in the darker color will begin to appear and potentially match to the unexposed areas?

Would any sanding of it be helpful?
Hopefully a few more people will chime in so you can advice from a few people before taking action. My thoughts are below:

Yes, it will darken when the oil soaks in. I would try the oil first on an edge that is hidden behind the dashboard so you can get an idea of what it will look like. I would not sand it, the teak finish is not really a polished wood look like you see in cars that have stained and clear coated dashboards. In my opinion, it looks better and more correct left alone without sanding -- hopefully others will chime in so you can get multiple perspectives on this.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169