Special Wrenches

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Special Wrenches

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom and all, as you know, each distributor is held to the cylinder head with six bolts/nuts. Two of the six are a royal PITA to deal with. I have bought so many tools that looked like they might work and I have destroyed so many perfectly good tools, just to have something that will let me take off these two nuts/bolts easily. This here is the only half way decent solution I've been able to find and the only reason why it works is because of the tapered socket.

I am curious, what do you use? Thanks in advance.

john

PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Special Wrenches

Post by tyang »

HI John,

Are you talking about the nuts at the bottom of the angle drives? If you think you have problems with these nuts on your 250 engine, you should try the later 365s! The 250s are a joy comparatively! A cut wrench similar to yours works, or if they're really hard to reach, I use a 1/4 u-joint socket from under the car with a long extension. These nuts should be a little thicker than normal to help access with a wrench.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The lower nuts, the hardest to reach ones, should be the long type which makes them a little easier to work with. Most of the older cars have had them lost/replace with the normal shallow ones. Parker Hall has them in his catalog. BTW, the bent slimmer wrench mod is what we use for both the tall and regular 6mm nuts. Funny, Chevy holds their distributors on with one bolt! Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Yes, it's only two on each distributor that are a pain to deal with, the rest come right off with a extension ratchet. I'll make some deeper nuts as suggested. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... John, I'm in shock. You didn't already have the longer nuts? I have some 6mm coupler nuts that I am going to cut down.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

If you're going through the trouble of getting all the details right, they get a wave washer under all these nuts and bolts. All black oxide!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Gents, I didn't know that there were supposed to be "tall" nuts back there, since the studs are just long enough for a standard nuts. The bolts are special, yes, they have a round skirt under the heads.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

OH JOHN!!! We are all so disappointed in you. You have failed Ferrari Mechanics 101. There is no hope for you now.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Was there ever?
PF Coupe