330 Series 1 brake light switch

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 4HL

330 Series 1 brake light switch

Post by 330 4HL »

Vehicle 64 S1 Ferrari 330 2+2 (euro)

Brake lights not working -

I need the sending unit that actuates the rear brake lights that is affixed to the Master cylinder.
I believe it's a Dunlop system but I have no part number.

can anyone suggest a source?

I searched the blog but only found reference to S2 car which is a different system.

as this is somewhat urgent, please email directly if possible at netgenrb@hotmail.com

thanks
330GT

Re: 330 Series 1 brake light switch

Post by 330GT »

330 4HL wrote:Vehicle 64 S1 Ferrari 330 2+2 (euro)

Brake lights not working -

I need the sending unit that actuates the rear brake lights that is affixed to the Master cylinder.
I believe it's a Dunlop system but I have no part number.

can anyone suggest a source?

I searched the blog but only found reference to S2 car which is a different system.

as this is somewhat urgent, please email directly if possible at netgenrb@hotmail.com

thanks
The parts book (part 9/tav 31) says BECME Be-154. However, any brake light switch (My S2 uses an old VW bug one) will work. You just need an adaptor. If I remember, the S1 has a large opening, so starting with a bolt( preferably brass) with the proper threads, then whacking it off, drilling and threading the center for the proper size for whatever brake switch you pick is easily done by a machine shop. You might be able to cannibalize your current switch, using it as a bushing by getting rid of the switch part and then threading the center for a new switch. The VW switch is nice in that it has standard pipe threads.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Please be careful when using a VW pressure switch, they can be found easily but the current quality and performance can be terrible. One big problem is that the actuation pressure can be very high which means that you have to be pressing the brake pedal a good amount before the switch is actuated, mearly feathering the brakes or using light pressure may not actuate your brake lights. I prefer to have my brake lights come on the instant my foot touches the pedal to give early warning to the texting teen on my tail.

I tried 1/2 dozen switches until I found one that actuated with very light pressure. On another car I gave up on the hydraulic pressure switch and installed a modern electrical plunger type switch to my pedal cluster to get the instant-on effect I was seeking.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I did exactly what Kerry suggested and cannibalized the original switch to use as an adapter for a SI 330.
brakeswitch1.jpg
brakeswitch1.jpg (381.27 KiB) Viewed 14871 times
I also experienced the same issue with the VW switch in not operating until the brakes were on full pressure.
Painless wiring makes a low pressure switch that works great:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/80171
it has a 1/8 inch pipe fitting which I cut into the adapter fitting.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330 4HL

Post by 330 4HL »

thanks guys -
this gives me some options for dealing with the problem - rick
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:Hi Guys,

I did exactly what Kerry suggested and cannibalized the original switch to use as an adapter for a SI 330.

I also experienced the same issue with the VW switch in not operating until the brakes were on full pressure.
Painless wiring makes a low pressure switch that works great:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/80171
it has a 1/8 inch pipe fitting which I cut into the adapter fitting.

Tom
The nice thing about this solution is that it's low-tech. A hack-saw, drill with the correct bit, 1/8" pipe tap and tap wrench are all that are needed. Nothing is critical as the only mating surfaces are threads. Of course, if you have a lathe like Tom, the end result is much neater, but no more functional. And on a series 1 car, this is buried under the driver's floor.

PS, my VW brake switch dates from the late 80s. I guess that they worked on lower pressure back then as I've had no problems. Ferrari changed to a 1/8" pipe thread brake switch with the advent of the hanging pedal system, single booster and the master cylinder under the hood.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
enio45

Post by enio45 »

A while back there was someone making the brake light switch "rubber boot"

anyone remember who that was or is there another supplier for these?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Melchior

250 GTE brake light switch needed

Post by Melchior »

Hi there,

anybody who has a functional brake light switch for my 250 GTE 2+2 for sale?

regards, Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
tyang

Re: 250 GTE brake light switch needed

Post by tyang »

Melchior wrote:Hi there,

anybody who has a functional brake light switch for my 250 GTE 2+2 for sale?

regards, Martin
Hi Martin,

As you can see from this thread, it will require some work to get your brake light switch to work. I'm not sure if there is a "plug and play" option. You can try the usual suppliers, but I've been getting a light pressure switch with pipe threads and adapting it to the M/C. What do you have on your GTE now? Is it an original switch? Is it coming off the banjo fitting on the end of the M/C?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

GTO has a nearly perfect replica of the original switch. The only difference is theirs has spade terminals, as opposed to the original bullet.

Before getting the GTO part, I did something similar to Tom's trick and it worked well for many years. I cannibalized the original (non-working) switch and fitted a VW switch to the end of it. The VW takes the original bullets connectors.

john
PF Coupe
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... I made up an adapter to use a switch with 1/8 npt maybe 30 years ago. I used a switch from 40's or so GM cars as it was the lowest switching pressure I could find. 60-120 psi. This is about the same as the one from Painless Wiring. I've since changed to one from RonFrancis wiring. It switches at 20-50 psi. Every little bit helps.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you all for the hints and advises - I understood how to fit a replica or modify my broken brake switch. As my car is very original this would be my second choice. I am looking for a genuine/original spare part and ask if anybody has one for sale.

Regards, Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Melchior wrote:Thank you all for the hints and advises - I understood how to fit a replica or modify my broken brake switch. As my car is very original this would be my second choice. I am looking for a genuine/original spare part and ask if anybody has one for sale.

Regards, Martin
Martin which pitch ?
there are diff sizes in diameter ( mm) and pitch.
i will have for sure several of those n.o.s
send me an PM
C.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

250GT wrote:
Melchior wrote:Thank you all for the hints and advises - I understood how to fit a replica or modify my broken brake switch. As my car is very original this would be my second choice. I am looking for a genuine/original spare part and ask if anybody has one for sale.

Regards, Martin
Martin which pitch ?
there are diff sizes in diameter ( mm) and pitch.
i will have for sure several of those n.o.s
send me an PM
C.
Martin,
Ther are differant pitch /Steigung/schroefdraad of those and differant bakelite colors
The later switches were with bass screw connections.

Concerning GTO engeneering well I need them also sometimes but those replica parts are seldom perfect ,they are funtional but
need ofter some corrections , why not right after investing so much time...

Here some pics of those switches

P.S
Ed those rubber boots were available at the GF or ex of Brian Hoyt from perfect reflection (PR) a high end paint shop in the US.
that rubber business was close for several years a.f.a.i.k

Its only a hobby here.

C.
Attachments
IMG_5918.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG (61.13 KiB) Viewed 13526 times
IMG_5917.JPG
IMG_5917.JPG (63.28 KiB) Viewed 13526 times
IMG_5916.JPG
IMG_5916.JPG (65.15 KiB) Viewed 13526 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Martin tried to post a picture of his switch he told me.

so I will do it -i hope thats OK

welcome to TY.

I thought always the bullit connector wher used on GTE too.

never too old to learn.

but his picture shows somerthing else..

best

C.
Attachments
brake switch.jpeg
brake switch.jpeg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 13496 times