How do you drive your 250 during break-in ?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

NOTRED

How do you drive your 250 during break-in ?

Post by NOTRED »

Very excited here as #2831 is going to have the engine back in properly rebuilt and bench-tested after an almost 10 year hiatus. I would like some feedback from other 250 owners as to how best to run-in my motor. I know that lugging is bad. Our motors develop peak power at 7000rpm - good to go this high? There is no redline - what is max shift point? Many thanks to Tom for suggesting the head gaskets from Scuderia Rampante - which cured our coolant leak issue that we had with the Elring gaskets.
C
DWR46

Re: How do you drive your 250 during break-in ?

Post by DWR46 »

When built by the factory, the engines were run on the dyno for a number of hours at varying rpm and loads. The Owners Manual recommends to stay under 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 Kms, and under 5,000 rpm for the next 2,000 kms. I have never heard an automotive engineer favor hard usage to break-in engines. You will hear lots of stories about "break it in the way you intend to drive it", but easy break-in lets all the pieces get to know each other over time.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Great news! I hope that you will post photos or video of the first drive. Someday (soon I hope) I will do the same...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

Fingers crossed it will be before the snow comes.
C
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

As I live in California, that will not be a problem! Of course, if we did have snow, it would be a great incentive to get it done...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

There's a lot friction going on inside an engine the first few thousand miles. Rings are seating, bearings are taking a set, and valves are working themselves against their seats. I always feel to be a little gentle with the engine for the first few thousand miles. change the oil to clean away the metal that inevitably wears away from the parts that are breaking in and slowly break the engine in. After the first few thousand miles, you should be good to go.

As far as redline, there are only so many redlines an engine can have! I feel there is no reason to thrash an engine unless you're trying to pass a competitor for a championship point, or trying to make pole position, otherwise it's just abuse! That doesn't mean you can't rev your engine up high, but keep it within reason. Some hot-rod Ferrari engine builders feel these engines can endure 7K redlines all day long, and maybe even 8K+, but I'm not so daring. If I break something, I have to fix it, and parts are not cheap. Personally, I keep my revs below 6K and usually at 5500 rpm. I'll let her rip every now and again, but she's an old girl, and I try not to flog her!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hello lucky break in guys,
With a complete overhauld engine I don´t put in FULL synthetic oil in the beginnig.
it seams the oil scrap rings nead a ceartan friction on the inside of the liners.
otherwise oil consumtion will start.

best
C
tyang

Post by tyang »

250GT wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 am Hello lucky break in guys,
With a complete overhauld engine I don´t put in FULL synthetic oil in the beginnig.
it seams the oil scrap rings nead a ceartan friction on the inside of the liners.
otherwise oil consumtion will start.

best
C
Agreed!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Both 250GT and Tom are correct. NO synthetic oil during break-in period. In fact, we do NOT use synthetics in the motors of any of our vintage Ferrari's, both street and race cars.
tyang

Post by tyang »

In my opinion, synthetics are a waste of money since oil changes should be done annually and most of my customers don't drive enough in a year to take advantage of synthetic's abilities. Also, the tolerances of vintage cars are different than modern cars that were designed to run with synthetics.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053