Glass Polishing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Glass Polishing

Post by John Vardanian »

I was wondering if it's possible to rejuvenate the glass in our old cars. I see there are some products/kits out there. Has anyone tried it and does it make a noticeable difference? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
afwrench

Re: Glass Polishing

Post by afwrench »

Hi John, I had some luck using watered down toothpaste and a random orbital sander on a vent window .That was a long time ago and being a dentist I am partial to toothpaste. It did remove a few very fine scratches and cloudiness. I do imagine that the kits available now would do better. Good luck,Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

For wiper scratches on an Alfa Montreal, I bought a kit from Eastwood I think. It was about $60. It did help to remove the worst of the scratches. However, be very careful, as if you get too aggressive, you will effect the smoothness of the glass and cause warped images. The process is kind of messy using a electric drill and various wheels, so cover up most of the car first. I probably could have gone further to remove more of the scratches, but decided the discretion was the best approach.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

I have try it on glass BUT but dissapointed John,
BUT on plastic windows Chapron cabrio rare, and 250 TDF wrapted around window ansd side sliding windows the results was remarkeble.
All discorelation and sctrtches after 25-30year are completely gone but this is "soft"
The promblems are allways with the front windows : stone pitting and wiper scvratches dont realy dissapear.
Your Lusso window front and PF coupe front are not expensive at all .
I Replace them.
specially at night a new one is a real improvement (glass)
i can find out which i did use on plastic windows.
Classic car glas sells them here around 600 € Lusso
Number PF is SP 583 around 900 €
Hope this helps
Ciao
C.
Attachments
P1200068.jpeg
P1200068.jpeg (100.6 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I appreciate the comments from everyone. My glass is not particularly scratched and the windshield was replaced some 25 years ago. All the glass is currently out and I thought I might use this opportunity to improve things. I wanted to know if polishing is worth the effort. I'll look for a kit and give it a try. Thanks again.

john
PF Coupe
michaelbalk330

Post by michaelbalk330 »

JOhn
totally worth the effort... I ended up getting best luck with a Random orbital polisher, a firmer Orange pad, and glass abrasive paste... took a while , but was able to eliminate all those fine scratches that make driving in night, bright light, just seem hazier etc... the abrasive paste will hurt the paint, so tape it off, tape the chrome trim, and paper over the paint. be sure to remove all remnants before using a rag etc on car's paint or you will scratch it.
Michael
1967 330GT #9693
1960 190SL
1967 Ducati 350 Sebring #04783
1959 Moto Guzzi Galletto #GNR93
1973 450SL
1988 Mercedes 300CE 5 spd
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Mike. We did it and it looks better, but the deeper scratches didn't g away sadly. Any thoughts on how to remove them?

john
PF Coupe