Knob Paint Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Dbdavid

Knob Paint Removal

Post by Dbdavid »

Hi, can anyone tell me what the console knobs are made of for a 1961 GTE? Are they Bakelite?

Mine are covered in paint :shock: and I would like to get them cleaned and polished again.

Any suggestions on paint removal and polishing after?

Thanks

Dave #2677
John Vardanian

Re: Knob Paint Removal

Post by John Vardanian »

I used paint remover on one of my plastic knobs and it melted the surface. If you were going to use a paint remover be warned.

john
PF Coupe
Dbdavid

Post by Dbdavid »

Thanks for your input John. 👍 That is exactly why I am asking as one google suggestion was to use paint thinner and fine steel wool. These parts are far too expensive to experiment on... :P

Dave
peterp

Post by peterp »

I don't know if the knobs are bakelite, or if the comments in this link are accurate, but there seems to be some potentially useful info here -> http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=87859
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Dbdavid

Post by Dbdavid »

Thanks Peterp, that is a very good link! Would be nice to know exactly what these knobs are made of.

Dave
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

If the knob is not fluted, you can spin it against a scotch pad. Do it carefully and lightly and the paint will eventually dust away. Then you polish it back to a luster.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

The black knobs are definitely not Bakelite. They're a hard plastic. I know mineral spirits won't dissolve them but it may not be strong enough to remove the paint either! if you do use stronger solvents, do it quickly before it starts to eat away at the plastic, otherwise sand it off slowly.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Dbdavid

Post by Dbdavid »

Here is the before and after pictures, the knobs were painted black and had white overspray! These are from the heater box doors.
IMG_1363.JPG
I mounted a M4 machine screw to my drill and used 600 grit sandpaper (wet) to remove the paint, then extra fine steel wool wetted with a drop of dish soap,finally some Simichrome on a wetted extra fine pad followed by polishing it with a piece of cotton
The attachment IMG_1363.JPG is no longer available
In hindsight I could have skipped the Simichrome (polish) on the pad and just used the cotton sock to apply and remove the polish.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dave
Dbdavid

Post by Dbdavid »

IMG_1362.JPG
Here is the before and after picture. Everything looked fine in the preview. :shock:
Dbdavid

Post by Dbdavid »

Sorry Tom, I didn't see your post, I used Simichrome as I assumed the knobs were Bakelite. I will try polishing with some plastic polish and see if it is better.

Dave
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

I do not know the material but I polished them with my polishing machine. I used the softest disc and the finest polishing wax - see the result - it worked great. After polishing I painted the letters in white, took colour clenser to remove the colour from where it should not be. Did this quite fast and soft to not have the clenser too long on the material - worked also great.
Attachments
IMG_7170.JPG
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

That‘s the machine to be precise The old paint in the letters was scratched out with a needle before the new white paint was put in.
Attachments
9D1D9496-A2DC-4426-9804-2B24E62B9A76.jpeg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)