Please let us know when the Alfa is safely through customs

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

Please let us know when the Alfa is safely through customs

Post by PSk »

I'm so worried for that Alfa. I've heard horror stories of cars being subject to destructive testing, all I believe at the owners cost.

Fingers nails are being bitten ...
Pete
tyang

Re: Please let us know when the Alfa is safely through customs

Post by tyang »

Hi Pete,

I have heard the horror stories and am worried as well. The owner is well aware of the stories and is willing to take on the risk. I've removed the asbestos from the brakes and the heat shield. Fingers crossed!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings.. I've sent a request for info to some friends down under who are vintage sports car (Morgans) guys. We'll se what they know.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tim

Post by tim »

G'day (been in contact with the Aussies) The horror stories are true. Asbestos seems to be the main concern. Even if you have paperwork from a reputable shop (you are reputable , aren't you) they may decide to remove a brake shoe, punch a hole in the lining and test it. If it passes, you get the shoe back with the hole. You are responsible for putting it back together. Tom, did you replace the clutch disc? Another source of evil asbestos. How about the head gasket. Some of the sandwich type gaskets have a center of E.A.. One of the guys who used to import occasionally won't do it anymore. One guy has a friend with a Blower Bentley took it to South Africa for a Rally. He still doesn't have his car back but he does have invoices totalling $40,000. Now here's the kicker. Importer is totally responsible for all costs and it is totally random- which cars get tested and what on them gets tested.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
PSk

Post by PSk »

Oh dear.

Unfortunately I've heard of a Mustang, I think, where they started chipping away at perfectly good original sound deadening. Back in the old days, yes this would contain asbestos, but perfectly safe when contained like it was ... and I've heard of worse things but cannot remember the gory details.

It doesn't makes sense when we know that Chinese new cars were being sold in Australia with asbestos in the exhaust manifold gaskets.

Many years ago I imported my Alfa GTV into Australia and back then there were no asbestos issues, but they still dented the heck out of it because they wanted to see the underside of the shell. Fair enough, but it was a sand blasted shell that had not been driven since the sand blasting, and it was bolted to the trailer that it was on as it was on a chassis frame, AND I had written very clearly all over the shell that it was bolted to the trailer. They stuck the forks under the rear of the shell and only stopped when the whole trailer was lifted off the ground. Brand new old stock rear panel dented, along with inner wheel arch ... amazing that it did not fold in half considering under the shell, on the trailer, was all the components required to assemble the car again.

Fingers very crossed for this lovely little car. Maybe it will dodge the checks :)
Pete
PSk

Post by PSk »

But then I've heard of a restored Triumph TR6, in New Zealand, going for it's re-certification for being used on public roads, requiring it's fully restored chassis to be cut in half so they could ascertain that it was not rusty on the inside.

I'm planning to get my GTV re-certified later this year ... yoga breath ...

Pete
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I can only do what the customer wants. Leaving the clutch alone is risky, but if they are going to question the head gasket, the clutch is the least of our worries.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053