Congratulations Tom Yang, on the road

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

horner

Congratulations Tom Yang, on the road

Post by horner »

Tom, Congratulations on successfully completing this project. We will keep cheering for you as you clean up the last bits of work. Hey, how did you pass inspection without the Prancing Horses?!? Looks great. Call me when you want to take the cars out for a drive. LJH
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
DMC

Post by DMC »

Tom,

I've been lurking for what must be over 2 years. I've enjoyed watching the progress on your car, and coudn't be happier for you that she's on the road. Enjoy the rest of the driving season.
josh

Post by josh »

It's looking great, Tom! I think you've got to be jinxing yourself by using the 'D'one word, though.

Too bad we didn't meet up at concorso.. What a crazy place that was- way too much to see :)

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

Congratulations, Tom!

Your project and web site has been and hopefully will continue to be a great source of inspiration.

Geat job!!!

Ruedi
fest

congrats

Post by fest »

CONGRATULATIONS TOM!!!!!
well done
bravo

glad to see it finally 'hit the streets'
passing the DMV song and dance is a big milestone
(being from the East Coast, I remember what a hassle the Inspection sticker was- be thankful you don't live in CT)

gee, the car finally is done...
does that mean we can't come here any more?
:(
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks everyone! It means a lot to have your support!

Like I keep saying, I'm working on the next project, and you'll be the first to know what it is!

Fest:
I've been very lucky in the DMV inspections here in NY. First of all, older cars don't need emissions testing here, so it's really a safety inspection (ie. brakes, lights, horn, etc.), but sometimes these things are marginal on the older cars. so it always helps to know the shop that does the inspection ;-) . In other States there are State run inspection centers, and they are a little harder to sneak by, but have I got stories about how I got my old Mustangs to pass imspections when I was registered in NJ!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
rschmoll

Post by rschmoll »

Congratulations Tom! And, thank you for sharing this excellent adventure along the way. Your tenacity truly inspires me.
Ferrari 330 GT engine s/n 7025
Ferrari 330 GT chassis s/n 6815
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

They never really are completely done, but you should be proud of all of the hard work you've put into it. Great job and great car. Enjoy it.
365 GT4 2+2 (18759)
Mondial 8 (39343)
308 GTS QV (47071)
Koll

Post by Koll »

Yup Tom, I've got to chime in as well. Your project has been amazing. It has inspired me on short term as well as long term projects. And project yet to be started!

There are few good restoration documentation sites out there. I remember one where this guy restored a Citroen 2CV (does it as a business) that's pretty remarkable. Another where some guy restores a Ford GT40 (lots of bodywork!) and another where some guy in a wheelchair restores a Jag XK. And does a top flight job!

Tom's site is by far the best. Maybe it's the car, maybe it's Tom and his writing style. But, it comes together nicely. I remember first reading it non-stop all day right when "tomyang.com" was being hijacked. I was 2/3rds of the way when I could no longer get to the site!

Very compelling. Another compelling aspect is that Tom isn't a professional wrench (bodyman, restorer, etc.). Just a amateur - in the best sense of the word. Really gives inspiration to us all.

One question. You must have thougt of documenting from day one, no? Most documentations pick up somewhere in the middle. That's another compelling item. To see the car as a basket case at the start thinking to yourself "never gonna happen" and then watching it come together piece by tiny piece is so cool.

Enjoy the car, Tom. After all this time, you're being rewarded with a car commensurate with your effort!

Don't forget to keep us informed on your exploits with the car. :)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks again guys!

Although I took this week off from the car, I still have tons of stuff to do, so fear not, I'll still be trying my best to post weekly!

One of the things I used to build this site was the desire to make something I would like to see! "If I were a fan of this site, what would I like to see?" is what I'm constantly asking myself. I'm glad that there are some other people who see the same thing, and that is why I continue to bring this site to everyone. Without it, where would I go everyday?

A note on these "free" web packages on the internet to help you build your own website. Remember that NOTHING in life is free! Another web "blog" software gave away an early version to users to put their journals on the Internet. In trade, they beta tested the software for the company. As the software got popular and a new version was released, they stopped support of the "free" version, and sold the new version for what I considered a lot of money. Now I understand people have to make a living, but be careful how much of your website commits to a "free" piece of software, for they could leave you stranded without much choice but to pay them for a working version.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
josh

Post by josh »

Absolutely.. use free software, run it yourself- using someone else's service is asking for trouble, IMHO.

I chose to use blosxom, which is a really bare-bones system that I could customize a bit for my needs. But there are plenty of other choices out there- no need to be afraid of them as long as you're careful.

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
rwills

Post by rwills »

Tom,

I'd like to add my congratulations as well. I'm also nearing the completion of the restoration of my 250 GT PF Coupe and your website and the contributors to the forum have been invaluable resources for me. Thanks for all your hard work!

Roger
1959 Ferrari 250GT PF Coupe 1479GT