Transmission ID Number

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Transmission ID Number

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - Have you replaced the Transmission Tunnel yet? If not be sure to photograph the ID number on the top of the Transmission, which is stamped into the housing, just below the the shifter on the left side. It should be a one, two or three digit number over a two digit number, just like the differential (I believe the bottom is the year made and the top is the number in the series of transmissions/differentials made during that year).

I have just finished applying for a build sheet on the Ferrari Owners site, and have had many emails with the factory over which numbers they want. Both the differential and the transmission have multiple numbers on their cover, and if you don't know which they are looking for, you will go through the same frustrating process I did. Once you know where to look, all but the transmission are easy to get. If your transmission is clean (mine was not), you may be able to read the number with a mirror and a very lucky photograph. However, if you can see the top of the transmission, the photo is a piece of cake.

So, if your cover is off, take the photo. Later, if you ever decide to get the build sheets or heritage certificate, you will thank me.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Tom needn't worry about getting a build sheet from the owner's site. It isn't available for his car.

I got the whole list of those available for America and 330 GTs. Only about 1/2 of them can be obtained through the owner's site.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks Kerry, for saving me the painstaking prospect of dealing with entering all that data to the Ferrari site only to find out my information doesn't exist!

Tom
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I didn't say it didn't exist. I said that it's not available through the Ferrari owner's site which means that the Ferrari history department can't find it. So it's either truly lost, misplaced or most probably, was sent to a dealer (Chinetti?) per their request. Where it is now is a good question.

But you are right, there's no use jumping through the hoops at the owner's site except to obtain a heritage certificate (no pictures needed, just the numbers).

Perhaps it'll end up on ebay like the invoice papers for your car!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

You shouldn't necessarily take the site's word that the sheets are not available. It said mine were not, so I emailed them asking if they did not have them or if they just were not available on the site. Two weeks later I got a reply, saying they had found them and they would be on the site soon. 6 weeks later, they were on the site. At least they say they are; I haven't seen them yet!

My point was that the transmission number was hard to get and if it was exposed, it was worth a photo. That way, should you ever need the number or a photo of it, you have it. Once you know which numbers Ferrari wants, the rest are very easy to find and photograph.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Kerry,

Jacques Vaucher, who sold me my invoice papers used to work for Chinetti, and unfortunately doesn't have anything else on the car. He says that he had a folder of papers that he kept from the time he worked at Chenetti, and that was the only Invoice in the pile.

The story behind the Chenetti Ferrari papers is an interesting one. There was supposedly a file cabinet filled with Ferrari papers that was at Chinetti's shop when it was closed in the 70s. It was put in storage with a bunch of other stuff. When the cabinet was up for sale, Roush (FML) said he had a chance to look at the papers, but claimed that they were basicaly lunch reciepts and unimportant paperwork. Francois thinks that someone went through the cabinet and took the important papers out by the time Roush saw it.

The fact that Vaucher eneded up with my 330 America invoice shows that they were floating around, but where they are now is a mystery!
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Tom, I sit here corrected. I re-checked my database on your car and the build sheet is available from the Ferrari Owner's site. When I was putting all of these in, I thought that yours was one of the missing ones, but I must have been thinking of the wrong serial number.