Turn-signal stalk remanufacturing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

xs10shl

Turn-signal stalk remanufacturing

Post by xs10shl »

This is an ongoing topic, but I thought I'd bring it up again, because I have some new inputs.

I watched a show on DIY where the auto restorer used an inexpensive silicon molding technique to remanufacture a plastic tail light for an old Packard. All he needed was 1 good example to make the mold. The process seemed more brain-dead and uncomplicated than I'm sure it really is, but that's the miracle of Television DIY shows.

I would think that the same process could be used to mold a new plastic base around an existing stalk, assuming one had a spare, good stalk to create the mold shape.

I'm also considering creating a batch of the little black circular console switch knobs which I can't seem to locate without having to buy the whole switch, using this same process.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The pressure on these lever bases are very high, possibly that is why they break, so be sure the molding material is a very strong compound. On a recent visit to GT Car Parts in Phoenix I have observed a very large storage container of assorted levers, possibly this could be a quicker source for these?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Not owning a 330 style turn stalk, can someone tell me if it's possible to remanufacture this part in aluminum? Are there any conductivity issues? If it's possible, perhaps we could have this part reverse engineered into a CAD program to make it in a stronger material on a CNC machine. Any thoughts?

Wasn't Zac working on this? Anyone else working on this project? Any other updates?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

I love when I answer my own question. It looks like it has to be made out of plastic, and Kerry Chesbro has made it from a mold making kit:
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/h ... _stalk.htm

Hey Kerry, how hard would it be to make more? We should pool our resources so the next guy doesn't have to start from scratch.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
zac

Post by zac »

I did make several sets with the Silicone molding process. But I was not convinced with the strength and seeing as my wife runs and plastic injection molding company I gave the pieces to one of her mold makers to solve the problem once and for all. As usual those projects get put on the back burner when bussiness picks up so I will see what the deal is. If I am not mistaken Marrenello Concesionaries in England is selling re-pops and if money is no object I saw this one on E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Zac,

This is the same problem I ran into. I was going to have someone I know program a CNC for me to make the parts out of delran. Its been three years now and I still don't have the parts!

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Yes, GT Car Parts is normally an excellent resource and priced right, but my stalk has been sitting there for 6 months, because Bill happens to not have the very stalk I need. He thought he might be getting one soon, but these things are never certain.

Anyways, I'm just fishing around in the mean time, hoping to stir up something! Car is in pieces after a respray, so I can wait a few more months!
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

whoever builds the better mousetrap first, I will give you my money
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
LP

Post by LP »

I rebuilt my C/4 stalk years ago out of a small collection of parts, so I'm quite familiar with the issue. It occurs to me that "rapid prototyping" might be an answer here. Enormous strides have been made in both materials and cost. I've seen some of this stuff and several SLA base materials would work very well. All it takes is a CAD model, and I do these all day at work. I've reverse engineered Ferrari bits and pieces just for the fun of it. It would bypass the mold entirely. Now where did I put those left-over bits?
Les Putnam
1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 Silver on black/red
1989 Corvette FX3/6speed Black on Black
1988 Corvette Z52/L98 White on Gray
1995 Caprice 9C1
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I found a company that casts plastic and metal parts for old toys and they took my broken pieces to make the mold.

They still have the mold and a couple of people have gotten additional ones done. This was only for the headlight stalk on a series II 330 GT. It's best to send them the broken stalk as then they can mold the new piece onto the stalk in the correct orientation. If anybody is interested, here's the contact:
Specialty Castings and Moldmaking Services
19 Mill Road
Boxford, MA 01921
USA
1-978-887-9783

The owner is Walter Allen.

I understand that the mold that was made could only be used for a limited number of castings.

Of course, they could make a mold for different stalk end if you can supply the broken pieces.

As a caveat, it took about 3 months and a couple of calls before I got my part done and back.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
horner

Post by horner »

Guys, Remember my stalk saga that Paul Russell started by breaking my 2 LH stalks? Well the replacements from Maranello Concessionaires are not the indented ones (the black end) but the smooth ones from probably 250's. I have the originals if I can help in any way. If anyone makes a new set of replacements similar to my originals, I'm in for a set. Thx to all, Jack Horner
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

For those who aren't afraid to sacrefice the authenticity of there cars, I have fitted a VW Rabbit turn signal/high-low/wiper switch in a 365 GT 2+2. Amazingly all of the wiring works for the different positions. Making the mounting was difficult but the VW parts were $40. All I needed to do was make the headlights turn on with the spare switch at the far right of the dash because the Vitaloni switch turned on the lights with a twist of the colum.

I think the parts could be made from aluminum by insulating the contacts with the phenolic pads similar to what are used to insulate ignition points.

Getsome
Yale

Post by Yale »

Stephan,

You got the Ford drive shaft, the Rabbit turn signal, yikes, your cars must look like a pirate ship.-'} Best, Yale
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

You should see the AMC Gremlin rear bodywork conversion I did on a 250 Lusso!
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Steve,

Please tell me you didn't modify the chocolate Lusso! I have pictures of that car sitting on my desk at work.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919