White Smoke

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DBR330GT

White Smoke

Post by DBR330GT »

Just got a new clutch, valve job, carb adjustment, new ignition coil and wires etc,etc,etc. Car runs great!

When starting from cold (fires right up) or after sitting for several hours, no smoke to speak of. However, if I stop for a short period, say to fill her up with gas, I sometimes get alot of pure white smoke from both exhausts that wont clear until I drive about 1/10 mile. After that, no smoke. No leaks and all guages read fine.

What's going on?

Thanks,

Dan
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

White smoke can be brake fluid. How do your brakes feel. Is your resivoir level going down?

A leaking master cyl will leak into the booster where the engine vacuum will pull it into the intake and burn it in the combustion chamber.

White smoke could also be head gasket, check for oil in water or water in oil.
DBR330GT

Post by DBR330GT »

I should point out that it was just about to rain when this happened so I wonder if the car was vaporizing water that had condensed while sitting for a few minutes. Again, the smoke went away in 1/10 mile of driving.

The brake fluid level is fine. Brakes feel fine.

If it were a head gasket, would the smoke go away so quickly and wouldnt you see it on just one side of exhaust, and not both?

Dan
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

DBR330GT wrote:I should point out that it was just about to rain when this happened...
Are you saying this happened one time only?
DBR330GT

Post by DBR330GT »

Thank you, yes, the only major time it happened was yesterday. The weather cleared today and I drove her till fully warmed and no unusual smoke at start up or any time. It ran perfectly. I think what happened yesterday was condensation as it cleared so quickly. It was just more than usual. I think I posted prematurely and think all is well.

Dan