kalikow's superamerica paint code

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

eve23

kalikow's superamerica paint code

Post by eve23 »

hi guys
i am looking for the paint code for blu scura...it is the dark blue paint that peter kalikow painted his superamerica profiled in the latest FORZA magazine.....i am restoring my '62 vignale spyder and the original color was this same color and i can't seem to find the paint code for it....
can anyone help????

peter are you on line???

thanks guys
sam231

Post by sam231 »

'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
sam231

Post by sam231 »

sam231 wrote:Try Kerry Chesbo's website http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry ... Resources.
Sorry Kerry, Chesbro....typing is atrocious.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I have just looked up the paint color Blu Scuro for a 275 and it is in the PPG book for 1983 Ferrari. I am sure that many other books like Speis-Hecker and Glassurit have the numbers for the paint. I can do a spray-out card for you if you want
eve23

Post by eve23 »

i found the blue scuro ppg ordered it and when we sprayed a test it was very thin and light...not as dark as yours stephan
eddie
a57oval

Post by a57oval »

If you really want the exact color of the car your looking at you will need to have a part of the car to match. The problem with using the paint code is that that code is very old and paint systems have changed since the code originated. As the paint systems change so does the color due to color variant in each manufactures pigments. In addition each paint manufacturer will have different interpretations of that color. Is there a way the owner ofthe car can be contacted to find out what paint manufacturer was used. And get a formula from owner? If you do get a part of the car the color needs to be matched by hand then sprayed and cleared to get an accurate representation of the color. A paint stores spectrometer will only get it close, if your lucky. Alot of times you can find a similar modern color as a basis for tinting and formulation.

Peter Emhoff
Peter's Restorations
a57oval

Post by a57oval »

Called Glasurit tech line. Quart formula below. In 55 line. Base/Clear
Paint code 501

Toner Weight Color
352-91 164.9 Reducer
A552 728.0 Blue
A926 846.6 Black
M25 864.1 White

Hope that helps,

Peter Emhoff
Peter'r Restorations
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Keep in mind also that Ferrari used different coachmakers for different models. Each of the coachmakers appear to have used different lines of paint at different times. In the 1950's, for example, Pininfarina typically used Max Meyer colors. Pininfarina also bodied the 400 SuperAmericas and the color references for these cars are typically 'Italver' paint numbers. Scaglietti, at least in the mid 60's on the 275 GTBs used Glidden Salchi. The 275 GTS is Pininfarina and may be different paint (?). Within the typical there are the usual singular custom applications and exceptions to be found. If you are looking for the identical Blu Scuro from the assortment used, to be historically correct with the match, the Ferrari model, the coachmaker and the paint line are all factors. As Peter points out, to complicate it, the manufacturers now have different modern paint systems that introduce variables. No subsitute for a section of the original paint to match. Then again, life is short, find the nicest dark blue you like!

Chris
eve23

Post by eve23 »

ok.....have finally found the correct blue......after trying different blues i went over to ferrari and in the showroom was blu pozzi....an exact match to blue scurro........it is gorgeous....now to paint the vignale ....finally...cant wait.
larryingreenback

Post by larryingreenback »

Go to the source; I think David Carte painted this car. He is the owner of Classic and Sport in Edinburg, VA.